A student body has stated categorically that Sen. Prince Bassey Otu, APC governorship candidate for the 2023 general election will Cross River State’s problems, ranging from education, employment, students and youth development amongst others.
The body under the name “Forum of Past and Present Student Union Leaders in Cross River State”, made this known in a press conference held on Monday at the NUJ Press Centre, Calabar.
According to the Convener, Prof. Francisca Bassey, the APC guber candidate is what Cross Riverians need after carefully examining him and other candidates.
Bassey said “We have agreed to support a credible candidate and the only candidate who has the character, competence to deliver is Prince Bassey Otu. The decision was reached not for any selfish reason but for the good of Cross River State.
“I have held several positions and worked with several students on campus, and at a time like this, it is my obligation as a mother to lead them right. I believe in him (Otu). I am not a politician to say – I am of concern for the welfare of our youths, children, women and everyone. As a mother hen, I am appealing to the youths to come together and support Prince Otu.
“I have the confidence that I am doing the right thing. Otu has the spirit of the fear of God and he will not let us down. Prince Otu is a problem solver, a focused person – we want him because he is accessible and we need the people to be touched”.
READ ALSO: ADP Governorship Candidate promises to revamp economic prospects of Kano State
Earlier, Barr. John Inaku read the group’s statement jointly signed by him, the convener (Prof. Francisca Bassey), Dr Jerome Egbe and Castro Ezama (former Acting President of NANS).
Below is the full text of the press statement on the 13th of March, 2023…
THE STAND OF COMRADES PAST AND PRESENT LEADERS OF STUDENTS’ UNION ON THE 2023 GUBERNATORIAL ELECTION IN CROSS RIVER STATE.
Forum of Past and Present Student Union Leaders in Cross River State.
Heartily welcomes you to a world press conference; Tagged:
Senator Prince Bassey Otu: Beyond sentiments; The essence of purposeful leadership, guaranteeing dividends of democracy and the assurance of the desired future for youths, students and all demographics in Cross River State.
Declaration of support for Senator Prince Bassey Edet Otu for Governor; Cross River State.
The Group “PAST AND PRESENT STUDENTS LEADERS” is a group made up of Past and serving Students Leaders who have contributed immensely to the Comrade community and have dedicated their youth to the advancement of the Students’ struggle, we are distinguished leaders who have been dedicated, persistent and consistent in shaping the course of history through mounting pressure on public office holders, providing purposeful leadership to a large crop of students, youths and even men and women in their prime.
Having, proven their commitment to national and state development in the course of these various activities have also been placed as opinion leaders whose opinion is not taken lightly amongst the youths and Students who form the majority of the voting strength in this elections. The group also have the composition of current Students’ Union Presidents and leaders who also have the trust of their constituents.
Fellow Cross Riverians; haven taken a critical evaluation of the personalities, track records, character and a test of capacity of key contestants we are convinced that you are what Cross Riverians need and your candidature is a blessing delivered by God to us as a supernatural package as a panacea to the many challenges confronting us as Cross Riverians. We are not only convinced but have taken upon ourselves through the Leadership of our Mother whom we have christened Sweet Prof. Francisca Ime Bassey to organize ourselves, galvanize support for your aspirations, provide services to the extent of campaigning, promoting and canvassing constituents to vote for our interest which is your candidature.
Having, engaged ourselves in series of meetings in which we have had the opportunity to interface with Distinguished Senator Bassey Otu we have set out to say the following:
• The students’ Union movement in Cross River state has often shied away from engaging itself actively in supporting a candidate in an election. We have rather chosen to watch from the sidelines and try to mount pressure when there’s a lapse in proper representation. This disposition has always left us in the loop and at the receiving end of unfavourable policies.
• Hence, we have agreed to engage actively and support a credible candidate; who we can repose our confidence in and he will not fail our expectations.
• After much consultation we have resolved that the only candidate who has the character, competence and track record to deliver is Senator Prince Bassey Otu.
• It is therefore our stand to support Senator Prince Bassey Otu and his ambition to serve the people of Cross River state.
• This decision is reached in the overall interest of our members, students and youth.
• We call on all students and youths in Cross River state to join hands with us as it is of good conscience and trust we are confident that only Prince Otu can deliver on the benefits of democracy.