A seven-day ceasefire between the warring factions in Sudan has been mediated by Saudi Arabia and the United States.
Abdel Fattah al-Burhan’s representative and his former deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, both signed the cease-fire agreement in Jeddah, where they also pledged not to seek any military advantage before the cease-fire’s start on Monday at 9:45 p.m. local time.
Ali Jafar, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Sudan said; “It will be automatically renewed until we reach a permanent cease-fire through mechanisms we will discuss in the coming days to achieve confidence between the parties and for more humanitarian services for the Sudanese citizen”.
However, since the violence started five weeks ago, numerous ceasefires have been declared and then quickly broken.
READ ALSO: Traditional Ruler, NBTI unveil Factory to produce 10 tonnes of Palm Oil daily in C’River
Air strikes and artillery exchanges continued on Saturday in Khartoum even after the announcement of the most recent ceasefire, and armed men ransacked the Qatari embassy.
After the deal was reached on Saturday, Prince Faisal bin Farhan, Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister said: “This Sudanese blood is precious to you more than anyone else, and you know the importance of saving it”.
Adding, “I hope this agreement will be a hope for the Sudanese people, especially the people of Khartoum, in which they can finish their humanitarian services in the seven days and hopefully, it will be more”.
More than a million individuals have been forced from their homes as a result of the violence – the majority of them were civilians.
The humanitarian crisis in Sudan is getting worse despite the country being the third-largest nation in Africa.
The news of the cease-fire on Saturday came two weeks after the initial meeting of the warring generals’ representatives in Jeddah.
On May 11, they agreed to uphold humanitarian principles, permitting desperately needed aid to enter.
Although it fell short of a truce, UN assistance head Martin Griffiths said on Thursday that there had been “important and egregious” violations of that accord”.
Get Faster News Update On: WhatsApp and Telegram