Members of the Sudanese armed forces have given contradictory information about a possible 24-hour ceasefire with the rival Rapid Support Forces (RSF).
The two forces have been battling for supremacy in the East African country since Saturday.
An armed forces spokesman announced on the army’s Facebook page on Tuesday morning that he knew nothing about an “understanding with mediators and the international community” on a ceasefire.
He accused the RSF of using the ceasefire as a pretext to “cover up the crushing defeat they will suffer within hours.”
In contrast, the commander-in-chief of the Sudanese armed forces, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, had previously told the U.S. television station CNN that he was open to a ceasefire proposal from the international community.
A high-ranking general of the Sudanese armed forces told the Arabic television station Al-Arabiya that he supports a 24-hour ceasefire starting on Tuesday evening.
RSF leader Mohammed Hamdan Daglo had signalled readiness for a 24-hour ceasefire, writing on Twitter: “The RSF reaffirms its approval of a 24 HR armistice to ensure the safe passage of civilians and the evacuation of the wounded.”
But he later wrote that the army had “failed to honour this ceasefire.”
Al-Burhan has not yet responded to Daglo’s comments. (dpa/NAN)
Get Faster News Update On: WhatsApp and Telegram