By Mo Isa
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has come up with six demands following the indefinite nationwide strike that commenced on Tuesday, November 14, 2023.
CONVERSEER learned that the nationwide strike was a result of the ill-treatment meted out to the NLC President, Comrade Joe Ajaero on November 1, 2023, in Imo State.
In a statement by the NLC on Wednesday, November 15, 2023, the NLC said for the nationwide strike to end, the following six demands must be met:
1. Arrest and prosecute Mr Chinasa Nwaneri the SA on Special Duties, the deadly gang leader of Hope Uzodimma thugs: he led the attack against workers on that day.
2. Arrest, prosecute and dismiss all police officers involved in the brutalisation of the NLC President and workers in Imo State.
3. Arrest and prosecute all thugs who attacked the NLC president in Imo State.
4. Arrest, prosecute and dismiss the Chief Security Officer of Imo State Government House, SP Shaba: he led, participated and provided cover for thugs to brutalise workers in Imo State.
5. Arrest, prosecute and dismiss the Police Area Commander who led the brutalisation of the NLC President and other workers in Imo State.
6. Investigate and prosecute the former Imo State Commissioner of Police, CP Ahmed Barde.
The NLC had accused Hope Uzodinma, Governor of Imo State of masterminding the abduction, brutalisation of its president.
The action has led to several labour unions joining the ongoing strike, including the NUT, SEWUN, ASURI, NANNM, JUSUN, NULGE, NUPTE, ASUU, ASUP, NAAT among others.
CONVERSEER reports that economic activities have been grounded across the 36 States of the federation including Abuja, the nation’s capital.