Saturday, 25 May 2024.

Top 5 This Week

Related News

Onana spares Manchester United’s blushes to set up FA Cup final with rivals

The goalkeeper helped United salvage a win after they lost a three-goal lead against Mark Robins’ determined team.

By Frank Ulom

Manchester United’s rollercoaster match against Coventry City was one for the books. The tenacious Coventry City side put up a brave fight, but ultimately, it was Manchester United who emerged victorious, albeit after a nail-biting penalty shootout.

However, the overall feeling was one of disbelief, as United had been cruising to victory with a comfortable 3-0 lead at 70 minutes.

How could Erik ten Hag’s side have let their guard down and allowed Coventry City to come back and force extra time and ultimately penalties?

United started strongly, with Scott McTominay capitalising on a flowing team move to give United the lead. Harry Maguire then doubled their lead with a powerful header from a corner right before half-time. The third goal came early in the second half, courtesy of a Bruno Fernandes strike which looked to have sealed the deal for United.

However, the players seemed to ease off, and Coventry’s Ellis Simms managed to pull one back in the 71st minute.

READ ALSO: Former President Bolsonaro leads massive protest in Brazil (VIDEO)

Despite being two goals down, Coventry City refused to give up, and soon they had a second goal from Callum O’Hare’s hopeful effort, which bounced in off Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s back.

United seemed to have lost control of the game, and they were left stunned when they conceded a penalty in the 94th minute, which Haji Wright dispatched with ease, completing a remarkable comeback.

Extra time saw United looking tired and unable to keep up with Coventry’s relentless pace. Bruno Fernandes came closest to scoring for United when his shot hit the bar, but it was Coventry’s Simms who nearly stole the game for his side. Victor Torp also thought he had won it for Coventry in the 120th minute, but VAR ruled it out, much to the relief of United’s players and fans alike.

The penalty shootout got off to a disastrous start for United when Casemiro’s attempted Panenka was easily saved.

However, Andre Onana came to United’s rescue, saving Callum O’Hare’s penalty before Ben Sheaf’s miss allowed Rasmus Hojlund to score the decisive penalty, sending Manchester United into the final against arch-rivals Manchester City.

Despite the win, it was a horror show for United, and many fans are left wondering if they can compete with a far stronger team in the final.


Frank Ulom
Frank Ulom
Frank Ulom is an experienced Journalist, Blogger and Writer with several years of experience. His stories are based on community development and have brought positive change across board.

Latest News