By Frank Ulom
UNICAL Graduates 7769 Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Other Students for the 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 academic sessions
The University of Calabar (UNICAL) has graduated a total of 7769 Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Ordinary Diploma and Sandwich Students in a combined convocation for the 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 academic sessions.
Addressing journalists on Monday, May 1, 2023, the Vice-Chancellor (VC) of UNICAL, Prof. Florence Obi said the 35th and 36th convocation will be a week-long event starting from May 1 to May 7, 2023.
Obi said out of the 7769 graduands, 5031 are Undergraduate students; out of which 11 bagged First Class, 899 bagged Second Class (Upper Division), 3396 bagged Second Class (Lower Division) and 721 bagged Third Class.
The VC also disclosed that the university graduated a total of 2153 Postgraduate students – 519 Doctorates (PhD), 1078 Masters (MSc, MA, etc) and 556 Postgraduate Diplomas (PGD).
She added that 171 students also graduated with Ordinary Diplomas, out of which are 2 Distinctions, 111 Merits, 45 Credits, 1 Lower Credit, 11 Passes and 1 Certificate of Attendance.
For Sandwich, Prof. Obi said out of the 413 graduates, 142 bagged Second Class (Upper Division) while 271 bagged Second Class (Lower Division).
She also said three (3) prominent Nigerians will be awarded honorary degrees – they are HE Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, former president of Nigeria; Dame Winifred Akpani, CEO of Northwest Oil and Gas and Tola Johnson, a young and vibrant Nigerian lady.
She said this year’s Research Fair is supported by Fidelity Bank, urging other banks and businesses to follow suit.
She said over 100 staff will be recognised this year, “from cleaners to administrative staff”.
She said the institution will be bidding for the 2026 NUGA games in 2024, adding that the university will need N2.5 billion if it must host the games.
Obi said last year’s convocation slated for March did not hold due to the strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The Vice-Chancellor who said the university has separated Doctorate (PhD) degree from others outlined the 7-day activities as follows;
DAY 1 – Monday, May 1, 2023
• Media Briefing at the Council Chambers (10am)
• Paying homage to the Royal Fathers in Calabar
DAY 2 – Tuesday, May 2, 2023
• Interdenominational Service at the International Conference Centre (10am)
• Research Fair and Exhibition at the Tennis Court (11am)
DAY 3 – Wednesday, May 3, 2023
• Meeting of Convocation (Alumni) at the International Conference Centre (9am)
• Staff Meritorious Award at the International Conference Centre (10:30am)
• Receiving of the 6th Chancellor of the University at the Margaret Ekpo International Airport
• Courtesy call to the State Governor, HE Ben Ayade
• Session with the Obong of Calabar and other Traditional Rulers
• Closing of Research Fair and Exhibition (with prizes and awards) (4pm)
DAY 4 – Thursday, May 4, 2023
• Investiture of the 6th Chancellor of the University of Calabar at the International Conference Centre (10am)
• 35th Convocation Lecture by President Muhammadu Buhari’s Chief of Staff, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari (12pm)
• Command performance in honour of the 6th Chancellor at the Chinua Achebe New Art Theatre (7pm)
DAY 5 – Friday, May 5, 2023
• Award of Diplomas, First Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas and Masters at the Abraham Ordia Stadium (10am)
DAY 6 – Saturday, May 6, 2023
• Award of Doctorate (PhD) Degrees, Investiture of Emeritus Professors and Award of Honorary Degrees to 3 Nigerians at the International Conference Centre (10am)
• Launching of NUGA 2026 games
DAY 7 – Sunday, May 7, 2023
• Thanksgiving Service at St. Paul’s Parish (9:15am)