Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » Security » Attack on Peaceful Protesters by Police in Port Harcourt, is “Violent, Irresponsible”, Group

Attack on Peaceful Protesters by Police in Port Harcourt, is “Violent, Irresponsible”, Group

April 7, 2025
in Security
Reading Time: 2 mins read
09bcc1b5 df12 4cd2 afbf 361a39be548c Attack on Peaceful Protesters by Police in Port Harcourt, is “Violent, Irresponsible”, Group

By Anietie Akpan

The “Take It Back Movement” has described as violent and insensible the attack of peaceful protesters by combined forces of the military and police near the CFC junction in Port Harcourt, Rivers State on Monday.

A statement on Monday, April 7, by the South South Coordinator of the Take It Back Movement”, Comrade Jonathan Abang-Ugbal said, the “excessive and reckless force used by the security agencies” who are supposed to serve the public diligently led to patriotic Nigerians sustaining varying degrees of injuries and this  it is strongly condemned.

The statement said, “Rivers State Coordinator of the movement, Comrade Amanyie King and the Niger Delta Congress President, Nubari Sataah sustained serious injuries and are receiving medical care while dozens remain unaccounted for”.

The protest, “is part of a broader campaign to draw attention to the deliberate misuse of the CyberCrime (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act, as amended, to suppress dissent and harass citizens.

“And, the use of live ammunition, teargas, and brutality against unarmed and peaceful protesters is a blatant display of the running (not ruling please) class’s despotic tendencies and the heinous act is a stark reminder of the lengths to which these privileged fellow countrymen and women who buffet on our commonwealth a la carte while masturbating in the corridors of power, will go to silence dissenting voices”.

RELATED NEWS

Soldiers’ Pay Rise: Give frontline troops presidential guard treatment, Lawyer urges

“Insecurity Ends When Leaders Put People First” Says Good Governance Advocate Anyogo

“State Police fund must not be left in hands of governors” – Advocate warns

Gov Otu approves 2 months allowance for 540 Homeland Security volunteers

The movement said, “indeed, the Cybercrimes Act, has become a tool for oppressors to stifle free speech, silence dissent and crush the common man.

“We urge Nigerians to recognize the gravity of this situation, stand in solidarity with the Movement, join the campaign to repeal the Cybercrimes Act, and demand for a just and equitable society. The right to peaceful protest is fundamental to any democracy, and it’s imperative that we protect this right.

“The time for silence and indifference is over, it is time for collective action. Indeed, a people united, can never be defeated”.

Accordingly, the movement called for : “the immediate repeal of the CyberCrime (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Act; Accountability for Security Agencies, especially the Nigerian Police Force; and Protection of Citizens’ Rights”.

Meanwhile the group has appealed to the Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG), Zone 6 Command, Calabar, Cross River State, Mustapha Muhammed Bala, to “support the “Repeal the Cybercrimes Act” campaign to protect public interest”.

The movement in a letter addressed to the AIG and signed by Abang-Ugbal, stated,”as we recognize strides made so far, we must equally reflect on opportunities to build a just society for all citizens, irrespective of status, wealth, or privilege.

“Hence, the decision of the Take It Back Movement to launch the “Repeal the Cybercrimes Act” campaign – rooted in the principle of advocating for legal framework that prioritizes the rights of the many over the interests of the few and the growing call for justice and protection of citizen’s rights”.

The letter further reads: “The misuse of the Cybercrimes Act has disproportionately affected the marginalized, poor, and vulnerable in our society. It has become a tool for silencing dissenting voices, gagging discursive change agents, and undermining the freedoms we must all cherish as members of a just and equitable society.

“It is on that note, that the Nigeria Police Force has a historic opportunity to align itself with the people’s interests by endorsing the campaign.

“You are aware that Public Servants are, by oath, in a unique position to champion the values of fairness and accountability”.

 

Next Post

Lisabi Festival 2025 Gave Us Everything: Style, Culture & Glamour

Driver rescued as car falls off Otedola Bridge in Lagos (video)

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.