Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » News » Former Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte appears in Hague courtroom via video link for mass murder charges days after ICC warrant

Former Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte appears in Hague courtroom via video link for mass murder charges days after ICC warrant

March 15, 2025
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read

Former Philippines President, Rodrigo Duterte has made his first appearance via video link at the International Criminal Court in the Netherlands, where he faces murder charges related to his “war on drugs.”

Duterte appeared at around 2:30 p.m. local time, and was informed of the charges against him, and his rights, according to the ICC.

The 79-year-old former authoritarian leader, who arrived at the Hague following his arrest in Manila earlier this week, is accused of “charges of the crime of murder as a crime against humanity,” amid his brutal, yearslong campaign, where thousands of people were killed.

 

Former Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte appears in Hague courtroom via video link for mass murder charges days after ICC warrant

 

Judges authorized Duterte to appear in court through a video conference, the ICC said, noting that he had gone through a long journey.

RELATED NEWS

Iran Executes Man Accused Of Aiding US, Israel

101-year-old great-grandmother arrested as NDLEA busts cocaine-in-fufu racket

NITDA Urges CBN, Others To Strengthen Digital Oversight For Financial Stability

People are trying to make money from us — Ogogo’s daughter cries out

“As Mr. Duterte made a long journey, involving a considerable time difference, the chamber authorized Mr. Duterte to follow the hearing at a distance,” presiding Judge Iulia Antoanella Motoc said.

 

Duterte was placed on a flight from Manila late on Tuesday, the Philippines government said. He arrived in the Netherlands on Wednesday after a long stop in Dubai, where he received medical attention during the layover.

Duterte’s lawyer, Salvador Medialdea, who was physically present in court Thursday, said that Duterte had landed in the Hague after being subjected to an “extrajudicial rendition” he called a “pure and simple kidnapping.”

Medialdea added that Duterte had “debilitating medical issues,” including being hard of hearing and having poor sight that would prohibit him from contributing to the hearing. Judge Motoc rebuffed that suggestion, saying that the court doctor had found Duterte “fully mentally aware and fit.”

 

“Duterte is suspected of murder qualified as a crime against humanity, allegedly committed in the Philippines between November 1, 2011 and March 16, 2019,” the ICC said.

 

“During this time, Mr Duterte was, at varying times, the President of the Philippines, the Mayor of Davao City, and, allegedly, the head of the Davao Death Squad,” it said.

 

The court said there were “reasonable grounds” to believe Duterte was responsible for the murder of “at least 19 persons, allegedly drug pushers or thieves killed by members of the Davao Death Squad” between 2011 and 2016, and “the murder of at least 24 others…under the supervision of members of the Philippines law enforcement (and) sometimes with the assistance of persons who were not part of the police,” from 2016 to 2019.

Duterte ruled the Philippines from 2016 to 2022.

Police data said 6,000 people were killed. Some rights groups say the death toll could be as high as 30,000 with innocents and bystanders often caught in the crossfire of Duterte’s so-called “death squads.”

 

Source: Linda Ikeji Blog

Next Post

DOJ's criminal investigation into NYC migrant shelters raises concerns about potential developments in Trump’s crackdown.

Abuja High Court Warns Senate President Akpabio with Jail Time for Natasha's Suspension

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.