Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » News » JUST IN… XENOPHOBIA: In retaliatory move, NANS targets MTN, MultiChoice, Stanbic IBTC

JUST IN… XENOPHOBIA: In retaliatory move, NANS targets MTN, MultiChoice, Stanbic IBTC

July 10, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read

In apparent response to xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and other Africans in South Africa, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has threatened to shut down business link to South Africans in Nigeria.

NANS president, Akinteye Babatunde on Friday declared a nationwide protest against South African interests in Nigeria, threatening to shut down operations of MTN and MultiChoice.

The student leader also called onNigerians to close their accounts with Stanbic IBTC Bank.

He said the planned action was in response to South Africa’s treatment of Nigeria and Nigerians, adding that NANS is prepared to mobilise students across the country to ensure the protest is carried out.

“We are going to shut down MTN and MultiChoice. We will force Nigerians to close their accounts with Stanbic IBTC Bank,” the NANS President declared.

He maintained that the protest was aimed at putting pressure on South African-linked companies operating in Nigeria, calling on students and members of the public to support the action.

RELATED NEWS

Orok Duke calls for proactive measures to tackle flooding, commends Gov Otu

EXCLUSIVE: Armed Police Officers, Court Bailiffs Storm NEPC Office In Edo, Seize Computers, Generator, Vehicle Over N10Million Debt

Ghana Court Remands Nigerian Accused Of Labone Bank Robbery Plot

Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Calls for Binding Global Action on Drought and Increased Land Restoration Finance at United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) COP17

He said the protest would be peaceful but insisted that Nigerian youths have the numbers and influence to make their voices heard.

According to him, the association is encouraging Nigerians to move away from South African-owned businesses and support indigenous companies instead.

“We have Nigerian telecommunications that are doing well. We can invest in them. We are going to instruct our Aluta forces cut across the nation to begin to port from MTN to Nigerian-owned telecoms.”

He also urged Nigerians using MultiChoice services and those banking with Stanbic IBTC to consider switching to Nigerian-owned alternatives.

“We are going to also sound a plenum of warning to those who are using MultiChoice products, who are patronising Stanbic, to begin to close down their accounts and start patronising Nigerian-owned banks.”

The student leader stressed that the campaign would remain peaceful, saying violence was not the solution despite the anger over the situation in South Africa.

“We have the power. We have the capacity. Nigeria has a population of over 240 million people and I can tell you for free that 60 percent of that population are youths. We are students and we have the capacity to do it.”

“If the government of South Africa is not ready to take responsibility, we are not going to be violent. We are not going to pay violence with violence because two wrongs do not make a right but we are going to go about it in a peaceful coordinated way until our voices are heard, until the welfare of Nigerian citizens in South Africa are accounted for.”

The NANS President claimed the association had earlier issued a seven-day ultimatum to the South African government but was disappointed by what followed.

According to him, rather than seeing efforts to protect Nigerians and their businesses, reports emerged of businesses allegedly being looted after their owners fled the violence.

He also alleged that the South African government moved to nationalise some businesses abandoned by Nigerians, a development he described as unacceptable.

The student leader further thanked lawmakers, including Senators Adams Oshiomhole and Asuquo Ekpenyong, for speaking on the issue and backing calls for stronger action against South African interests operating in Nigeria.



(Ripples)

Next Post

2026 World Cup: Yamal snubs Messi, names player that has aura

Ex-Tory Minister Ann Widdecombe Found Dead; Murder Investigation Begins

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.