Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » News » Nigeria not at war, we can’t keep counting bodies, Peter Obi laments killings

Nigeria not at war, we can’t keep counting bodies, Peter Obi laments killings

August 23, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 3 mins read

Former Anambra State Governor and presidential candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) Peter Obi, has lamented the level on killings in the country, especially around the middle belt region.

Obi stated that the country was not officially at war, and that “We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen”, even as he called for urgent government action to halt the wave of killings, abductions and destruction of communities in parts of Nigeria.

Obi, in a statement posted on X on Sunday, said recent deadly attacks in Benue, Plateau and Niger states had highlighted the worsening security situation in the country.

He described the three states, which are located in Nigeria’s North-Central region, as the latest areas to suffer attacks that have claimed scores of lives and displaced residents.

Obi cited the attack in Jwak Maitumbi, Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, where he said at least 23 people were officially reported killed, while residents put the death toll at more than 30.

He added that over 45 houses were reportedly destroyed in the attack.

RELATED NEWS

Coordinator of fake ‘Made in Nigeria’ agency shares appointment letter from SGF

Shift Reform Focus To Productivity, Jobs, CPPE Tell FG

The Road to Energy Rationing

Atiku: Tinubu cannot stop me from restoring targeted fuel subsidy

The former governor also referred to recent attacks in Borgu, Niger State, where reports indicated that more than 40 people were killed and over 100 others abducted, although he acknowledged that the figures remained contested.

Obi said the situation in Benue was equally troubling, with communities facing repeated attacks, killings, abductions and destruction of homes and livelihoods.

“What is happening in Benue, Plateau and Niger is similar to what is happening elsewhere in the country, with some attacks even going unreported,” he said.

According to him, the recurring attacks should no longer be viewed as separate incidents but as a broader national security crisis requiring a coordinated response.

“Nigeria is not officially at war, yet citizens are being attacked in their villages, abducted after prayers, driven from their homes and stripped of their farms,” Obi said.

He urged the federal, state and local governments to take immediate measures to protect vulnerable communities and prevent further attacks.

Obi called for improved intelligence gathering and rapid-response capabilities, as well as intensified efforts to rescue abducted Nigerians and apprehend those responsible for the violence.

“I urge governments at all levels to wake up to their responsibility and take urgent and decisive action to end this madness once and for all,” he said.

The former presidential candidate said the government should focus on preventing attacks rather than merely responding after lives had been lost.

“We cannot keep counting bodies after every attack. We must prevent these attacks before they happen,” he said.

Obi stressed that the protection of lives and property remained the fundamental responsibility of government.

“Protecting lives and property is the most basic duty of government. Nigerians deserve nothing less,” he said.

He concluded by warning against allowing the deteriorating security situation to become normalised, declaring: “Nigeria must not become a killing field.”



(Ripples)

Next Post

Transfer: Bouaddi to join Man City as Chelsea block forward from leaving club

Atiku: Tinubu cannot stop me from restoring targeted fuel subsidy

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.