Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » News » Nigeria receives over 1m meningitis vaccine doses to combat outbreak

Nigeria receives over 1m meningitis vaccine doses to combat outbreak

April 5, 2025
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read

RELATED NEWS

Tyson Fury pissed, says fight with Anthony Joshua may not hold

Tinubu Names Yari DG, Uzodimma Secretary Of 2027 Campaign Council

Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) Ebola outbreak spreading exponentially, United Nations (UN) responders warn

FG targets 10m women under SheIsIncluded economic initiative

The Ministry of Health has received over 1,000,000 doses of the pentavalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (Men5CV) to combat the ongoing meningitis outbreak in northern Nigeria.

 

A statement on Friday,April 4, confirmed that the vaccines were sourced from the Gavi-funded global stockpile. The outbreak has already resulted in more than 70 deaths and over 800 reported cases across 23 states.

 

Gavi funds global vaccine stockpiles against cholera, Ebola, meningitis, and yellow fever, ensuring that all countries can access them when needed. The organisation also supports the cost of vaccine procurement, delivery, and outbreak response campaigns in lower-income nations, alongside preventive and routine immunisation activities.

 

The International Coordinating Group (ICG) on Vaccine Provision, which oversees the use of global stockpiles for outbreak response, approved Nigeria’s request for over 1.5 million doses of Men5CV in March 2025. UNICEF is responsible for delivering these doses to Nigeria.

 

The first batch of vaccines will be used to launch an outbreak response campaign targeting individuals aged 1 to 29. The campaign will initially roll out in Kebbi and Sokoto states before expanding to Yobe state as additional doses arrive.

 

Ali Pate, the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, described the arrival of the vaccines as a significant step in Nigeria’s response to the meningitis outbreak.

 

“Through the Nigeria Health Sector Renewal Investment Initiative and the sector-wide approach, we have prioritised epidemic preparedness and rapid response as part of our broader health security agenda. We are grateful for the support of Gavi, WHO, and UNICEF in enabling this swift deployment,” Pate said.

 

“Together, we are not only containing today’s outbreak but also laying the foundation to eliminate meningitis and strengthen routine immunization for the future.”

 

Francisco Luquero, Gavi’s Head of High-Impact Outbreaks, emphasised the organisation’s role in eliminating meningitis A from Africa’s meningitis belt.

 

“Continued investment in this work is critical to protect the incredible progress made so far, control future outbreaks, and dramatically reduce the devastating impact that seasonal epidemics of meningitis have on families and communities,” Luquero stated.

 

Cristian Munduate, UNICEF Nigeria’s Country Representative, stressed the importance of protecting children from life-threatening diseases.

 

“UNICEF is proud to support the government by ensuring rapid vaccine deployment, community engagement, and planning and implementation of the response, while working alongside Gavi the Vaccine Alliance, the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, and the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare to strengthen immunisation efforts in Nigeria,” Munduate said.

 

The arrival of the Men5CV vaccines is expected to play a crucial role in mitigating the impact of the outbreak and safeguarding vulnerable populations across the country.

Next Post

Ukraine says Russian strike kills 16 in Kryvyi Rih; Moscow says was targeting military

Naval Architect/Marine Engineer Job at ExxonMobil

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.