Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » News » Opposition Rallies Against 80-Year-Old President Museveni’s Bid for Seventh Term in Uganda

Opposition Rallies Against 80-Year-Old President Museveni’s Bid for Seventh Term in Uganda

January 18, 2025
in News
Reading Time: 1 min read

Uganda’s 80-year-old president, Yoweri Museveni, has indicated his interest in seeking a seventh term in office with the country’s presidential election scheduled to take place on January 12, 2026.

Museveni who has been in power for 40 years, made his bid known when he launched a voter registration last week, a decision which has polarized the eastern African nation with human rights groups alleging fears of what they call “mass atrocities” ahead of the elections.

Opposition figures have also condemned a crackdown by the Museveni government using the military led by his own son, Gen. Muhoozi Kainerugaba.

One of his staunchest opponents,
Robert Kyagulanyi, a music artiste popularly known as Bobi Wine, who condemned Museveni’s fresh bid, alleged that hundreds of his supporters have either disappeared or were killed during the last presidential election in 2021 where he presented the biggest threat yet to Museveni’s reign.

“As the opposition and myself have experienced the most horrific treatment from the government and we know they can even do worse things, including killing me, we don’t expect the coming elections to be better,” the musician-turned-politician who himself has been arrested multiple times and survived alleged assassination attempts, said in an interview with the AFP on Thursday.

“Museveni is aware his government has no legitimacy and is disliked by the population and can only use more violence to ensure he remains in power.

RELATED NEWS

US Awards Weapon Manufacturer $22.9bn Contract To Boost Missile Production

New Report Shows Just How Bad The Housing Crisis Is

Private varsities deserve TETFund support, says Baze varsity VC

FG Pushes For Osubi Airport Code Change, Proposes Four Options

“But we are ready to carry the struggle to liberate our country, no matter how much we get into harm’s way,” he added.

Next Post

South Sudan Enforces Nationwide Nighttime Curfew to Combat Violence Against Traders

TikTok Users Transition to China's RedNote Platform

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.