Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » News » UPDATED: Court Set to Decide on Sowore’s Bail Request Thursday

UPDATED: Court Set to Decide on Sowore’s Bail Request Thursday

January 29, 2025
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read

Justice Musa Liman of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has adjourned ruling on a bail application filed by the Sahara Reporters Publisher, Omoyele Sowore, in his trial for alleged cybercrime till Thursday.

The judge adjourned the matter on Wednesday after Sowore’s counsel, Marshall Abubakar, and the prosecution lawyer, Uddy Jonathan, made presentations on the bail application.

Police had earlier arraigned Sowore, a former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), on an amended 16-count charge for calling the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, an “illegal IGP” on social media.

The police also alleged that the activist posted a picture of Egbetokun on his X handle with the caption: “Mediocrity, incompetence, corruption, a country run by characterless people cannot make progress.”

Sowore, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges and the judge stood down the matter for hearing of the bail application filed by Abubakar.

After the court reconvened, the counsel moved the bail application on self-recognition or the most liberal terms pending trial.

RELATED NEWS

‘Disgraceful’ Messi Fined For Slapping Opponent In MLS Game

Nigerians in Canada back Tunji-Ojo for Ondo Governorship

2027: APC’s Buhari Opens Campaign For Daura Federal Seat

South Sudan: Tambura’s fragile path from conflict to recovery

He said bail is at the discretion of the court and prayed the court to exercise it in favour of Sowore.

The counsel argued that the complainant had not shown any reason for denying the applicant bail.

Jonathan, however, opposed the request for bail.

The prosecution counsel in a 25-paragraph counter affidavit asked the court to dismiss the bail application, saying bail cannot be granted in a vacuum.

He said the applicant had not placed anything before the court to show that he would be available for his trial.

The prosecution counsel urged the court to refuse the application or grant the applicant bail on conditions that would make him appear in court for his trial.

After listening to the submissions of the counsel, the judge adjourned the matter till Thursday for ruling.

Next Post

Police Rescue 25-Year-Old Woman Abducted and Assaulted by Infamous Kingpin "Father" in Cross River

FAAN Clarifies Reasons Behind Max Air Plane Crash Landing at Kano Airport

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.