By Our Reporter
Hon. Amina Divine Arong has officially declared her candidacy for the vacant position of National Women’s Leader, following her participation as an aspirant at the 2021 National Convention. A seasoned politician with a rich history of service to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Arong’s qualifications and background are detailed in this document.
Early Life and Family
Born on October 23, 1972, to Late Chief Leo Okey Arong, a retired Permanent Secretary, Hon. Amina Divine Arong hails from Akam in Olulumo ward of Ikom Local Government Area of Cross River State, Nigeria.
Arong attended Kadana International Nursery and Primary School, Calabar, Cross River State, in 1982, obtaining her first school leaving certificate. She furthered her education at Annunciation Girls’ Juniorate, Moniaya, Ogoja, and the Federal School of Arts and Science (Federal Science College), Ogoja in 1989, earning her WAEC certificate. She pursued higher education at the University of Jos, Plateau State, obtaining a Diploma in Banking and Finance and a BSc in Accounting. Currently, she is pursuing a Master’s in Business Administration.
After graduating in 1998, Arong founded Amikenbei Investment Limited, a company engaged in construction and supplies, which became a significant contractor with the Cross River State Government from 2000 to 2014. Additionally, she incorporated Agaro Nigeria Limited, offering services in Information Technology, Public Relations Management, Tourism Development, and Resort Development and Management. Amina also served as the Managing Director of Green Shares Investment Limited, collaborating with Microfinance banks.
Political Career and Appointments
Hon Amina Divine Arong entered active politics in 1998, achieving notable appointments and duties:
1. Elected as Deputy National Auditor of PDP (2017):
– Auditing the party’s books annually and reporting to the national executive committee.
– Presenting audited accounts to the national convention.
– Conducting post-payment audits of party expenses.
– Receiving annual audited accounts from zonal and state chapters, including the Federal Capital Territory.
– Protecting party assets and instituting operating procedures through internal control.
– Conducting periodic audits of registered party members.
2. Special Adviser to the Governor of Cross River State Sen Prof Ben Ayade on Presidency and National Assembly Matters (2015-2020):
– Ensuring effective liaison with the Presidency, National Assembly, and federal ministries.
– Representing the Governor at various high-profile events.
– Overseeing the inclusion of Cross River State in Federal Government social intervention projects.
– Facilitating a positive relationship between the Governor and the Presidency.
During her tenure, Arong played a pivotal role in coordinating official visits of the President of Nigeria to Cross River State, ensuring the success of significant events and projects.
Hon. Amina Divine Arong brings a wealth of experience and dedication to her candidacy for the National Women’s Leader position, demonstrating a commitment to service and leadership within the PDP.