By Frank Ulom
The All Progressives Congress, APC has urged the candidates who contested for the February 3, 2024 rerun elections in Cross River to accept defeat and not seek further redress.
This is coming in after the party lost the rerun elections in Yala II and Obanliku State Constituencies to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
In a press statement signed by Hon. Emmanuel Edem Inyang,
Acting Publicity Secretary of the APC, Cross River Chapter on Friday, 9 February 2024, the party also frowned at the anti-party activities by some members of the party during the Akamkpa/Biase rerun election.
The party also passed a vote of confidence on the State Chairman, Barr. Alphonsus Eba as well as hailed Governor Bassey Otu on his effective delivery of his mandate.
The statement read in full…
“Following the meeting of the State Executive Committee of our party, the All Progressives Congress held on the 9th day of February at the party Secretariat Calabar, and after exhaustive deliberations and review of the Rerun election held on the 3rd of February 2024, the party was appalled by reports of widespread Anti-Party activities by some party members in Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency, Obanliku and Yala States Constituencies.
The party observed that the growing level of anti-party activities, if not checked and decisively dealt with, will not augur well for the overall well-being of the party in the future.
Against this background, the following resolutions were reached, moved and unanimously passed by the State Executive Committee.
(1) That the Party Congratulates the candidates of the party and every committed member who worked tirelessly to defend the party.
(2) The State Executive Committee observed that the loss in Yala II and Obanliku was majorly occasioned by the high-level conspiracy and mind-boggling anti-party activities of party members.
(3) The party humbly appeals to Candidates in the Rerun to accept the outcome of the election and not dissipate further energies in pursuit of their rights to seek redress at the tribunal even though it is within their rights and the party will stand by their decision should they decide to do so.
(4) The State Executive Committee strongly condemned the impunity of some ward chairmen and party men involved in anti-party activities. The party invoked its powers contained in Article 21 (1) of the APC Constitution and moved a motion for the immediate suspension of the ward Chairmen of Ijiraga and Mfuma-Ntrigon wards of Yala LGA and directed that all party items with them be handed over to their respective Vice Chairmen with immediate effect.
(5) Pursuant to Article 21 (3) of the APC Constitution, The State Executive Committee Constituted a Five (5) man Disciplinary committee consisting of the following:
1. Chief Edet Asia – Chairman
2. Hon. Emmanuel Ateb – Member
3. Hon. Erong Igwe – Member
4. Mr. Godwin John Inyang – Member
5. Barr. Alfred Umoh Effiong – Secretary
…with terms of reference to work with candidates and agents of the party in the election to fish out all those involved in Anti-party activities. The committee shall invite them to clear their names and report their findings to the State Executive Committee within 3 weeks.
To this end, other party members and Government appointees alleged to have been involved directly in anti-party activities or sponsorship of same in Yala, Obanliku, Akamkpa and Biase should be invited to defend themselves including the suspended Ward Chairmen.
(6) The State Executive Committee unanimously passed a vote of confidence on the State Chairman, Alphonsus Ogar Eba esq, JP for his visionary, fearless, courageous, and dynamic leadership which resulted in several golden victories the party won in the 2023 and 2024 general and rerun elections respectively.
The party warned all members who constantly indulge in blackmail to undermine the party and its leadership to henceforth, desist from doing so as the party will no longer condone any act that undermines its authority and supremacy.
(7) The party also commended the Governor, H. E. Sen. Prince Bassey Edet Otu for his People First Administrative programme especially the massive road repairs in the state, the successful hosting of the 2023 carnival, the recent payment of WAEC fees for all students in Cross River state and his tireless support to the party always.
(8) The party also thanked all its faithful members and assured them that the Governor was working very hard to address the hardship in the land and very soon, appointments and massive empowerment would commence.
(9) The party also resolves to periodically interface with all Elected Members to ascertain the level of their relationship with their constituents with a view to building stronger ties and bonds.”