Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
PRICING
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
    • Business
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Lifestyle
    • Science & Nature
    • Tourism
  • Trends
No Result
View All Result
Converseer
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Jobs
  • Metro
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Health
  • News
  • Trends

Home » News » RULAAC Demands Measures To Avert Law Breakdown In Enugu Land Dispute

RULAAC Demands Measures To Avert Law Breakdown In Enugu Land Dispute

July 28, 2026
in News
Reading Time: 2 mins read

The Rule of Law and Accountability Advocacy Centre (RULAAC) has demanded that Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State, and the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Olatunji Disu, to take decisive measures to halt further breakdown of law and order emanating from the protracted land dispute involving Private Estate International (West Africa) Limited (PEIWA) and the Amechi Uwani and Obeagu Awkunanaw communities in Enugu South Local Government Area.

RULAAC stated this in a petition separately addressed to the governor and the IGP, which was signed by the Executive Director of the group, Okechukwu Nwanguma.

RULAAC expressed concerns over the unending dispute pertaining to the land, and raised concerns over the proposed mandatory registration through the privately-managed Venco App as a condition for public access through the M-Trans Access Point (Centenary Gate) linking Amechi and Obeagu communities.

According to the group, while private estate managers could adopt appropriate security measures within their estates, no private entity has the legal authority to impose access restrictions on a public road or require members of the public to register on a privately managed digital platform before exercising their constitutional right to freedom of movement.

RULAAC said the dispute had been associated with serious allegations of violent attacks and multiple killings, making urgent government intervention imperative. It recalled the December 2021 alleged murder of Inspector Celestine Oriodovwe of the Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID), Enugu Annex, who was reportedly investigating petitions relating to the disputed land.

RULAAC also made reference to the killing of one Mr Onyedika Chukwu Ede during a violent confrontation in October 2025, as well as other reported homicide cases linked to the long-running dispute. It said it gathered that investigations into the killings had reportedly been concluded and that suspects had allegedly been identified. It therefore expressed worries that no prosecution has commenced despite the gravity of the offences.

RELATED NEWS

FEATURE: Abuja Metro Saves Commuters Money, But Crowding Raises Health Concern

Environmental Considerations Alone Must Not Stall South Africa’s Exploration and Job Creation Ambition

Meta Appears To Steer ‘Ceuta’ Searches To Warning Statement, Resources For Moving To ‘New Country’

Tinubu’s advice to governors on needless projects

Quoting the group, “The continued delay in prosecuting serious homicide cases not only denies justice to victims and their families, but also undermines public confidence in the criminal justice system.”

According to the organization, murder allegations should not be overshadowed by civil disputes over land ownership. It called on law enforcement authorities to ensure that criminal accountability is pursued impartially and without fear or favour.

RULAAC demanded that the IGP review allegations of abuse of police investigative processes, including claims of forum shopping and undue influence in investigations connected with the disputed land. Such allegations should be independently examined in the interest of justice and public confidence, it said.
It also appealed to Governor Mbah to direct an immediate investigation into the legal status of the M-Trans Access Point, suspend any attempt by private interests to restrict public access pending the outcome of the inquiry, and convene all relevant stakeholders for a dialogue.

“The warning signs are clear. Government must act now to prevent further violence. Justice for victims, respect for the rule of law, protection of constitutional rights, and peaceful resolution of disputes are essential to preventing another tragic loss of life,” the organization stated.

It reaffirmed its commitment to promoting peaceful conflict resolution, accountability, and respect for the constitution, and called on all parties to refrain from violence and allow lawful institutions to resolve the dispute.

(The Whistler)

Next Post
Gov Eno to commission 39 projects in 30 days, approves N31bn economic empowerment programme

Gov Eno to commission 39 projects in 30 days, approves N31bn economic empowerment programme

FIFA President, Infantino summoned to US House Judiciary Committee over Trump administration ties

Topics

  • Latest News
  • Nigeria
  • Africa
  • Europe
  • Asia
  • Americas
  • United States

Social Media

  • WhatsApp
  • Facebook
  • X (Twitter)
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn

Special Topics

  • Column
  • Bassey Otu
  • Bola Tinubu
  • Special Reports
  • Profile & Biography
  • Opinion
  • Latest News
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.

No Result
View All Result
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
  • Daily Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms Of Use
  • Write For Us

© 2026 Converseer.